Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

I previously worked for a charity that supported clients

Customer Question

I previously worked for a charity that supported clients with substance misuse issues, having been in recovery myself for six years I then relapsed twice within a six month period and committed a criminal offence, my GP and supervising counsellor explained that I was having a nervous breakdown due to a controlling and coercive relationship I was in.
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I yes, I have been internally investigated and there were some discrepancies that I have appealed against, these were the lack of support the charity have shown me and I stated in the appeal I do not think the mitigating circumstances around my relapse and criminal offence were not taken seriously or believed, I reached out to my colleagues during my relapse and the charity have highlighted that I have damaged relationships within the charity work place , no empathy was shown nor did I feel supported in any way during the second relapse however, my first relapse HR and head of recovery went above and beyond to help me. During my second relapse a client contacted me, and I picked up the phone by accident and I've tried explaining this to my previous employers but I feel unheard and get the impression that because I have put the organisation into disrepute they are concerned that it could affect there funding, also I am disputing that my relapse had something to do with the client disengaging with treatment even though my then line manager quoted in his statement that the said client was not engaging in treatment before the call to me was made, I feel like
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: No I am not in a union and I was an employer
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes I would like to say, considering they are a charity that helps recovering addicts I have been treated unfairly, my previous employers did not put a strategic plan in place if I relapsed only a plan was put in place if I felt I could relapse, I could not talk to my line manager about my coercive relationships as he was always rushed and my line management meetings where we would discuss my overall wellbeing status were always put back and always rescheduled, I would also like to point out that I was asked during the investigation another client was brought up as having made a complaint against me, I explained that this particular client was trying to sabotage my position within the charity as I had previously contacted the police and made an allegation regarding her partner, I do not believe this was taken into consideration by the organisation aswell. I do not want my job back however, I feel that there lack of empathy and support contributed to my relapse and subsequent criminal offence. They also quoted that during the investigation I was asked if I am going to stay sober indeffinetally, I said I could not promise this as I was taught by them when I was first in recovery to keep it in the day! And when I was employed as a facillitater we were encouraged to teach clients not to look at the tomorrow's but stay sober just for today, how can this charity expect recovering employees to make unrealistic promises when there ethos is to support the recovering alcoholic and not condemn if that client relapses?
JA: Of course. The best way to reach them is by emailing***@******.***
Customer: Thankyou for your help
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I havnt heard a response back yet but I do not want to pay £50 a month as the investigation is over and just wanted to know the answer to my previous question and I will take it from there if I have rights, so how do I cancel the monthly fee as your website does not say?
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 15 days ago.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am OK with waiting however, I do not want to pay the £50 for a subscription , thankyou
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 14 days ago.

Hello.   I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 14 days ago.

Unfortunately, I do not think that this is a matter where any law applies nor one that the courts can resolve.

In order for the civil law to step in and assist a claimant, they must have suffered some form of tangible loss, such as loss of business profits as a result of a breach of contract or infringement of intellectual property rights, damage to personal or business reputation (i.e., Defamation, Libel, Slander), wasted monies on purchasing a product or a service that was defective or never provided, personal injury or property damage.

I cannot see any contractual relationship or duty of care in tort between the parties in this matter, nor what damage, financial or other otherwise, they may have lost.   Therefore, it is more of a personal dispute rather than a legal and commercial dispute.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 14 days ago.

I hope this resolves your enquiry.   Please revert to me if you require any clarification of my answer to your question and I shall be delighted to assist.

LawyerEd

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 14 days ago.

.