How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 75140
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Please I have a question, no, can I pose the question? no

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: yes please I have a question
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: no
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: can I pose the question?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi, it related to the reporting lines. if my contract says that I am reporting to a global head can the reporting line be changed for a lower grade so I end up reporting to a head of instead?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

How long have you worked there for? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have just started, 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
no thanks, ***** ***** not interested in having a call.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Ben please let me know if you need more info
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. In general, that will amount to a change to your contract of employment. Changes can be introduced from time to time, especially if the business needs require it. Your rights will largely depend on your length of service in these circumstances because that will determine whether you can make a claim against them. A breach of contract claim like this one, can usually only be pursued in one of two ways – if you are dismissed in the process (even if it means your original contract being terminated and you being issued with anew one, incorporating the changes); or if you are forced to resign because of the changes.

In either case, you need 2 years service to be able to take it further, which means in your case the employer can introduce the changes without you being able to challenge them legally in any way. You can still complain about it internally, by raising a grievance, but that would be as far as you can take it.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi have just been hired, 2 months ago, they can change the contract already?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

They certainly can, they could have changed it on your first day if they really wanted to. The problem is that if they change it, you cannot legally challenge them because you need 2 years service to pursue the only claim which would have been available to you in the circumstances

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.