MatthewM1117
MatthewM1117,
Experience:  Expert
110754241

Im on an 8 hour contract, i have worked for the company for

Customer Question

Im on an 8 hour contract, i have worked for the company for 18months, been furloughed for 10 of those months, i resigned this week, 4 weeks notice, i offered to work 16 hrs per week for each week of notice, but they told me that i have to work 35 hrs a week or they will have to shut the business, i work at a cinema
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Just my manager, she has just told me i will be breaking my contract & i have to work my hours
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: employee 8 hr contract
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no thank you
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 15 days ago.
Good morning thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear about your circumstances, does your contract specifically state you are to work 8 hours a week? If you are unsure you can attach a copy of the contract using the paperclip icon and I can check this for you?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Yes, my contract says 8 hours per week
Thank you for the clarification then you cannot be forever to work over the 8 hours and there is no legal obligation for you to work over the 8 hour’s especially as you have offered to work 16 hours.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She is saying they will sue me for breach of contract, said that she wood give me a bad reference, she is going to roster me for more hours
What do i do?

Thank you for the confirmation, they would be unable to pursue a claim for a breach of contract claim as you have not breached the terms of the same.  There is no legal obligation to give a reference, however if given a reference must simply “be a fair reflection and accurate” otherwise you can take them to court.

Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 14 days ago.

Do you have any follow up questions?

Hopefully I have answered your question but if anything remains unclear please do not hesitate to contact me further.