Marcinlondon
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
110941711

My employer kept promising me a contract and then would lie

Customer Question

My employer kept promising me a contract and then would lie about it and put it off, then she terminated my employment without notice. Due to the nature of my job, I contacted one of my customers to make them aware of my departure and offer my continued support if they needed it. There was no rules or contract in place to state I could not do this. Can I be in trouble for this?
JA: Has she discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No, it is a small buisness and I’m not even sure if she has fully legally registered it, as she kept putting off the contract whenever I asked for it
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: freelancers I was a freelance tutor, where parents signed their children’s up to my classes, she would just simple communicate with the parents on my behalf I was working with a student closely to get him an exchange program in the UK, so because she terminated my employment without notice, I made the parent aware of this
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Just that there were no rules of employment that were given to me. But now I am paranoid she is going to sue me for reaching out to a parent
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I’ve never had a verbal or written contract that states any clauses or rules I need to abide by during or after my employment
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
However, I got paranoid, after reaching out to my client that my previous boss would try and use this against me. However we never discussed this as being a rule of employment or anything as there was no written or oral contract with any clauses, only an agreement to work for her and how much I would be paid - that’s it.- but I am a paranoid person and I worry about everything. She also terminated my employment without notice because I disputed the way she was speaking to me. I am also concerned that she won’t pay me the money I have earnt.
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 10 days ago.
Hello, this isCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online.
You will have a chance to request a call. You will see an automatic prompt. Please feel free to request it but do not feel obliged to do so.
Please do note that my response is not instantaneous but I will always aim to get back to you on the same day with my answer, or request more information, if appropriate.

Lastly, please note that our discussion on this site is for general information purposes only and do not replace any legal advice you might need, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship.
Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for my answer.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thankyou!
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 9 days ago.

I am very sorry to hear about this. If you do not have a written contract then a non compete obligation / non -solicitation would not apply here.

Obviously, you under under an obligation of confidentiality as a matter of common law.

If you need to recover any money, just let me know and I will tell you how to start the process.

Let me know please if you have any follow up questions, I will be happy to help.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
We don’t have a written contact that details anything no, nor was I told this orally, Thankyou for reassuring me. I’m concerned she may withhold my warning from me, how will I approach this?

Just send a written demand when the funds are due and state that should she delay your payment you will consider issuing a clam in the small claims court.

And if she ignores your demand, come back here and I will let you know what you can do next.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thankyou. I will email her and get back to you!

Sounds like a plan. Best regards