james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I have received a solicitor letter from an employer I left 9

Hi, I have received a solicitor letter from an employer I left 9 months ago accusing me of contacting staff and inciting them to leave and join me at my current employer. They are demanding I admit liability, demanding I give the names of every person I have contacted since I left and any one I have shared confidential information with. They have also contacted my new employer threatening the same advising that I have breached contract. I have not contacted any members of staff and nor have I used any confidential information (namely staff contact details). However, three members of staff have applied to the same company I am now working, legitimately and through the company website. Their letter states unless I accept liability they will instruct counsel and I will be taken to the high court.
JA: Have you discussed the accusation with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I have discussed the accusation with the HR lead for the company I now work for. They have responded to the allegation from their perspective, they are satisfied I have not incited staff to leave.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am an employee and no I don't belong to a Union.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I am aware of. I feel blind sided as I have done nothing wrong. I am the manager of a care home, 3 members of staff from a care home I worked at 9 months ago have applied for jobs at the same care home I am now at, but I have not incited them to do so.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have attached the letter which explains things more succinctly than I have...
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Also, they did not provide me with any company equipment, I had to use my personal mobile phone and purchase my own laptop for work. However, upon leaving I reset the laptop and deleted contacts from my phone. Unfortunately, they were unpleasant people to work for and made my employment challenging to say the least.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Also, they did not provide me with any company equipment, I had to use my personal mobile phone and purchase my own laptop for work. However, upon leaving I reset the laptop and deleted contacts from my phone. Unfortunately, they were unpleasant people to work for and made my employment challenging to say the least.Also again, they have also sent one of the staff members who has gained employment with the same company as me exactly the same letter. I will be her line manager.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Also, they did not provide me with any company equipment, I had to use my personal mobile phone and purchase my own laptop for work. However, upon leaving I reset the laptop and deleted contacts from my phone. Unfortunately, they were unpleasant people to work for and made my employment challenging to say the least.Also again, they have also sent one of the staff members who has gained employment with the same company as me exactly the same letter. I will be her line manager.Apologies for all the messages, I'm trying to include all the facts.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Also, they did not provide me with any company equipment, I had to use my personal mobile phone and purchase my own laptop for work. However, upon leaving I reset the laptop and deleted contacts from my phone. Unfortunately, they were unpleasant people to work for and made my employment challenging to say the least.Also again, they have also sent one of the staff members who has gained employment with the same company as me exactly the same letter. I will be her line manager.Apologies for all the messages, I'm trying to include all the facts.They have also attached a template of a contract in which my name is ***** ***** and which does not bear my signature or date of signing.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Also, they did not provide me with any company equipment, I had to use my personal mobile phone and purchase my own laptop for work. However, upon leaving I reset the laptop and deleted contacts from my phone. Unfortunately, they were unpleasant people to work for and made my employment challenging to say the least.Also again, they have also sent one of the staff members who has gained employment with the same company as me exactly the same letter. I will be her line manager.Apologies for all the messages, I'm trying to include all the facts.They have also attached a template of a contract in which my name is ***** ***** and which does not bear my signature or date of signing.Also, I don't know if this is relevant but I have held another job since this leaving and this most recent one, in the same industry (social care).

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Sorry to hear what has been alleged.

If you have not done as they claim, then you have nothing to fear. I would advice that you reply to the legal letter, denying that you have done as the former employer claims and counter that any further false claims by them will be defended to the fullest.

The employees who have applied or joked your new company would be able to confirm that you have not contacted them.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you! My mind is in overdrive and it's making me feel ill. Yes, the employees who have applied will be able to confirm that I did not contact them. Am I ok to send a very simple reply as you have quoted, stating that 'I deny all allegations made against me and any further false claims against me will be defended to the fullest'. Will that be sufficient? Many many thanks :-)

Yes that would be fine.it puts them on notice that you will defend any false allegations whilst at the same time denying what they claim.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you so much :-) and please excuse my rudeness, apart from this, I am very well thank you and I hope you are too. Thank you very much for your advice, I will send the email response now.

Your welcome, good luck.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you so much :-) Have a lovely evening.

Thank you, ***** *****