How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 75142
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I work in further education college. We were short of staff

Customer Question

I work in further education college. We were short of staff and I stepped in to cover a class which I had said I wished to give up. If no new staff were found I would continue. College then gave 50 per cent pay rise and I said I would like to discuss continuing. At time I said this manager had found no new staff. Now a new member of staff is being recruited and I have been asked to mentor her with a view to stopping teaching I will lose 18 k in salary. The justification is that I had said I wanted to give up the class. Manager has apologised for upsetting me but still want to replace me with new member of staff and still want me to mentor them. Is this a breach of trust and confidence
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: south England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: have registers my annoyance and have meeting planned
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: contracts Are very flexible depending on student numbers.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

How long have you worked there for? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
4 years it’s a private college and I have a good relationship with everyone. Problem caused by new manager who is a bit gun ho and doesn’t think things through.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

This can indeed be considered a breach of trust and confidence, especially if there was no clear indication that you were willing to give up the class after the changes were introduced. Your original intention may have indeed been to give it up but that was before they introduced the pay rise and before you started teaching it. Once these happened, it could have easily changed your approach to this and you may no longer have wanted to leave. Therefore, the employer should not have assumed that this was still the case, based on an outdated opinion. They should have checked with you beforehand and determined what your intentions are before coming to a decision.

At this stage, this is best dealt with through a formal grievance. You can get a detailed explanation of the grievance process here:

In summary, an employee is expected to submit their concerns in writing and send them to their line manager, or whoever is nominated as the person to send grievances to under an official workplace grievance policy.

The complaint should include details of what the grievance is about, any evidence that may exist which is relevant and also what the employee wants their employer to do about this issue.

Once the grievance has been submitted, the employer is expected to arrange a formal grievance hearing, inviting the employee to attend and discuss the nature of their complaint. The meeting is also as an opportunity to ask for further clarification or information, as required.

Following the meeting, the employer will take time to consider all the issues and evidence and then make a decision, communicating it to the employee. If the outcome is not to the complainant’s satisfaction, they can appeal and get a second opinion from a different person assigned by the employer to consider the appeal. Once the appeal is also completed, that brings to an end the formal grievance process and there is no option to escalate it further internally.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.