How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 75078
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

My daughter has left her care company and she gave correct

This answer was rated:

My daughter has left her care company and she gave correct notice etc on pay day they refused to pay her saying it’s for the training she received. When she was offered the job she did on-line training this was done at home and not paid. None of the training is a qualification she can take with her. So had a week or so shadow in the colleague on half pay as she wasn’t doing anything. As she has since been interviewed by the police because his colleague was accused of stealing.
JA: Was this wage-and-hour issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Not sure what you mean - they owe her. £594 for three weeks work - but said they are keeping because she is leaving before a year and it’s to pay for training. She had not had any really training that qualifies to be paid for and not over £500.
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: Employee- so she was paid an hourly wage - it’s care in people home.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: they reduced her hour kept changing her rota and not telling her so she got in trouble- she told them at interview she couldn’t work past 12 on Tuesday & Thursday as she does childcare- this was a greed but they kept added on the schedule after these times. Calling her on a booked day of asking her to work this is at 7pm she said she had been drinking at a party so could work and the guy got angry and aggressive. They asked her not to leave say she was really good clients liked her - but won’t give her nee job a reference.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.

Is there any mention of repaying training costs in your daughter's employment contract? Please also tell me how long she worked there for?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It does say for training but the understanding was if she did a NVQ or city and guilds course professional qualifications not just an online quiz
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
When can he call ?

OK thanks, ***** ***** had she worked there for? Please also upload a copy of the contract on here

Just to clarify, the pop-up offering you the chance to request a phone call is automatically generated by the site. You are free to request a call and if an expert is available, they will accept it and call you. If no one is free, then your call request will remain open until it is accepted or you decide to cancel it. In the meantime, you have already paid for a written response and that is the part I will continue helping you with.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Can you help with matter

Yes but I need you to provide some additional information. How long had she worked there for? Please also upload a copy of the contract on here

Ben Jones and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I am just getting that information and will send it over

Before a claim can be made against the employer in the Employment Tribunal, the affected employee would be required to participate in a process known as ‘early conciliation’, which is administered through the Advisory Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS).

The purpose of this process is to allow ACAS to mediate between the employee and their employer to agree on an out-of-court settlement in order to avoid the need for legal action in the Employment Tribunal. The employer does not have to engage in these discussions and the process is voluntary for them. If they refuse to participate, or the conciliation is unsuccessful, the employee will be issued with a certificate by ACAS allowing them to make a claim.

However, if a settlement is reached, the employee would officially agree not to proceed with the claim in return for the agreed financial settlement. Other terms can also be included as part of the settlement, such as an agreed reference.

In order to initiate the early conciliation procedure, ACAS must be contacted, either online by filling in the following form (, or by phone on 0300(###) ###-#### They will explain the process and what happens next and get the ball rolling on your behalf.

If the early conciliation process was not successful, ACAS have issued a certificate to confirm that and you still wanted to make a formal claim in the Employment Tribunal, the claim can be initiated via the following link:

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Hello, I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.