Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

My 18 year old granddaughter with limited employment

Hi my 18 year old granddaughter with limited employment experience was asked to attend a meeting with her employer on her day off. At that point she had only been employed for one month. She was very shocked to learn at the meeting that she was going to be dismissed. She was very upset because she felt she was doing a good job and was not expecting this. The employer said they were obliged to give her one week`s notice or did she wish to leave immediately without notice and without that week`s pay. Naively and because she was distressed,and crying she said she would leave immediately without really thinking. However having since discussed it with her family more calmly regrets that decision. Can she go back to her now ex employer and inform them she wants to change her mind??
JA: Has your granddaughter discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No. The meeting was with her supervisor only
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: Employees. They provide services for children with challenging issues. A private company not social services
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I think she has been badly let down. It was a very responsible position, supporting a teenage girl on a night shift in a house. Because the company had staff difficulties my granddaughter worked an additional 3 night shifts making a total of 6 straight shifts. This was just prior to being dismissed. In addition she never had any formal training (the 1st training session was cancelled) so really was thrown in the deep end.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

When did this happen? and what does her contract say with regards ***** *****?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
3 September and either party can give 7 days notice

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, usually the same day. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Hi there, so as mentioned the fact that she had mental capacity to make a decision on what path she wanted to take, would mean that she cannot legally challenge the employer now over it. I appreciate she may not have been in the best frame of mind at the time but legally she would have had capacity to make binding decisions for herself. Hopefully it would at least bring some closure for her and allow her to move on, knowing that there isn’t anything there that she can challenge the employer over at this point in time.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Hello, I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.