MatthewM1117
MatthewM1117,
Experience:  Expert
110754241

My dad is gmb Union member. I the end of August he at his

Customer Question

Hello! My dad is gmb Union member. I the end of August he at his work lifted up boxes and got strong back pain and been sent at home. We informed agency and until today he still sitting at home as we can't get appointment for physio doctor. But from agency was request to return his clocking card. Can you please help us with information how long he can be on sick notice until get appointment with physio doctor?
JA: Has your father discussed the disciplinary action with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: Yo be honest I don't know.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Looks nothing else
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 10 days ago.
Good morning thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Is your question relating to the length of time on sick pay?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
no. My dad waiting for physio doctor appointment since end of August. He have sick notice from GP and get payed for his sick time. But Tuesday 16.11.2021. after sending to agency his new sick notice. He gets reply to return back his clock in card to agency. After question why need return clock card. Was reply from agency saying what your induction period in factory has expired and you need return clock in card. But my dad went directly to factory and there don't know anything about it. My question is why so strange request was from agency to return my dad's clocking card?

Thank you for the clarification, has your dad raised this with the agency? Did he have a contract with the agency?

Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 9 days ago.

As an agency worker, you have the same rights as other employees and workers to, however it is likely that within your dads terms of engagement that there is no legal obligation on the agency to provide work. Therefore the agency can request that your dad returns his clock in card, especially if he is unable to return to work for some time as they will likely need to replace your dad with another agency worker.

It is likely that once your dad is fit and able to return to work they will return his clock in card so that he can continue to work for the factory.

Hopefully I have answered your question but if anything remains unclear please do not hesitate to contact me.