Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I work part-time and claim a benefit carer allowance i was

I work part-time and claim a benefit carer allowance i was in hospital for surgery and need to take a week or so off to recover can I get sick pay what are the rules for sick pay bank holiday thanks
JA: What is your employer's holiday policy?
Customer: There is no holiday policy that any one knows about
JA: Is the workplace represented by a union?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Can I just check how long you have worked for your employer please?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
5years part time

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please leave it with me and I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, usually the same day. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
sick pay and bank holiday should my employer pay these

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about this situation and any associated issues.

If you are off sick and unable to work, you could be entitled to sick pay from your employer, although that would depend on your contract. If all you are entitled to is Statutory Sick Pay, then that is all the employer has to pay you and it is not much – just under £100 a week and only payable from the 4th day of absence onward.

If the contract entitles you to additional company sick pay, then you would get whatever that entitlement is, but that is dependent on your contract and if the employer actually offers it.

Bank holidays have no specific rights under law – you do not get anything specific just because a day is a bank holiday. It is treated as any other day in work and if you are off sick on a bank holiday you will still only get sick pay.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
That is uk law but i am in the Republic of Ireland

Hi, you posted your question in the UK Employment Law section I’m afraid. If you want you can try and post your query again by selecting the correct section next time, but I can also confirm that the rules are pretty much the same in ROI so the answer would be the same too.