RJM Law
RJM Law, Laywer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

I have two issues regarding my self-employment. Firstly, I

Customer Question

Hi, I have two issues regarding my self-employment. Firstly, I can't understand what is the minimum legal break I should take when working as a driving delivery associate and I don't think I am being paid fairly I am being paid for providing a service - a 9 hour delivery service for amazon but outside of those hours, vehicle checks, and van driving from HQ to Amazon warehouse is not being paid for.. I am spending about an hour before I load my van to do various checks, other duties etc
JA: Have you filed a claim for unpaid wages?
Customer: Not yet because I don't know what I could be missing... Between one day and the next when I don't have the rental van I get to Lewtas logistics HQ for 10am and haven't recorded what time I have started loading my van.. I did start to note down different things...
JA: The Employment Lawyer will be able to walk you through that. Have you talked to a lawyer about the unpaid wages?
Customer: When i did take the van home I made a note of time taken to complete van checks and login to my apps at my tower block, HQ start time and when I arrived in an "overflow car park" where I queued before myself and others drove onto Amazon yard
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes, driving breaks including EU rules/domestic rules... I did bring this up to you above ...
Expert:  RJM Law replied 13 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today.   I am the expert who shall assist you with this matter today.

Please note that our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.  If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised you will receive one by the end of the day

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question.  However please note this does not form a professional client relationship and we cannot provide representation, however, I would be hopeful that my guidance will be able to assist you.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  When you are speaking about paid breaks and minimum wage etc. these are in reference to the Employment Rights Act.  However, when you are self employed, you do not have rights under the Employment Rights Act, therefore they are not applicable in this case.  When you are self employed in this situation, you provide a service for a contactual arrangement.  So whether the job takes you 10 hours or 100 hours you still get paid the same amount of money.  Therefor if you are not happy with the terms of your contract, you would require to renegotiate them, you would not be allowed to bring a claim under the Act.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ (England)

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/ (Scotland)

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Find-a-Solicitor/Solicitor-Firm-Search/ (Ireland)

https://www.lawsoc-ni.org/solicitors (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I appreciate the answer you have provided me but not the links as I have paid £5 for a free trial and therefore if I paid you £50 per month to be re-directed elsewhere or charged more because of that, WHY would it be worth paying for the service you provide on a monthly basis?Mike
Expert:  RJM Law replied 12 days ago.

Hi Mike, I have no control over the charges this is a website issue, I provided the links incase you  feel you wish to instruct a solicitor as we do not  provide representation on this site.  I hope that clears it up for you.