How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5841
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I have had to quit my job due to family stress and illness.

This answer was rated:

I have had to quit my job due to family stress and illness. My ex employer has been threatening me with court, saying I owe them money. They only operate daytimes Monday to Friday and I bow need to work evenings and nights. They also have never given me a payslip in 20 months, and have always been on a flat rate of £440 pw, often working in excess of 65 hours
JA: Are you hourly or salaried? How many hours do you work each week?
Customer: £440pw, usually working over 65 hours per week
JA: Where are you located? Wage-and-hour laws vary by location.
Customer: Staffordshire, uk
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: They are threatening to come to my house, I offered to work 2 weeks which was flatly rejected

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you james
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I need to know where I stand. This has caused my wife to fear for our family safety, and has caused my and my wife to feel both physically and emotionally sick

You should report any threats being made to you by them to the police.

You can also report them to HMRC if they have not been supplying wage slips.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Where do I stand on the notice period. My "contract" , ( which was roughly 6 lines hand written on a piece of paper, states 4 weeks, with no terms or consequence, but it is impossible for me to do that due to family illness. I offered 2 weeks which they flat refused. I get paid on a Friday for that week, so no week in hand

If the contract states 4 weeks, then you have a legal obligation to work 4 weeks notice.

If you don't you are in breach of contract.

The employer cannot however threaten you or threaten to come to your house.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok, so even if I'm not being paid minimum wage, that due to family issues I can't work days (which is the only hours they operate), and they would cause me further significant mental distress, which has been effecting my driving (as it is driving a hgv class 2)

Then had in your notice of four weeks then have your GP sign you off sick. Problem solved.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Great, thank you for your help. My only issue with that is I have tried to get in to see my gp, and they are saying next available appt is in 3 weeks time

You can self cert for a week, do that then call GP for an emergency appointment

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Great, will do that then, thabk you james

your welcome. Good luck.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

james bruce and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you