MatthewM1117
MatthewM1117,
Experience:  Expert
110754241

Two of our directors have been disqualified by companies

Two of our directors have been disqualified by companies house for their conduct in a previous company. However, they still visit the business on a weekly basis and this makes me uncomfortable. Should I refuse to meet with them or simply voice my concerns and see how they react?
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I haven't discussed this with anyone yet as I only made the discovery a few days ago> I am the General Manager of the business and we do not have a HR department.
JA: Is the relevant person an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Does the person belong to a union?
Customer: The relevant person was the Managing Director and majority shareholder. His majority share has been sold or transferred to another newly appointed director.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am prepared to resign to protect myself from criminality if my continued participation in meetings is perceived as covering for him.
Good afternoon thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Do you know how long the directors were disqualified for?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
One from 29 June 2020 until 28th Dec 2023 and the second from 18 August 2020 until 17 Feb 2024
Thank you for the clarification, how long have you worked for the company? It is unlikely that your conduct would be viewed as criminal as it is the director who are continuing to act who are committing criminal offences.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have been working there for approximately 15 months
Unfortunately, you would be unable to claim constructive dismissal if you were to resign because you feel your position is untenable.
Whether you wish to approach the directors yourself would be a personal decision however if the company has a new director it would be for them to approach the disqualified director. You could report the matter anonymously to the police if you wished as continuing to act as a director once disqualified is a criminal offence. The penalties if found guilty are imprisonment for up to 2 years fines or both.