ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Laywer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

I am the producer, writer, director and performer in a solo

Hello, I am the producer, writer, director and performer in a solo performance film. I have hired a camera man on a freelance basis to film for detail - and our agreement is clear that I own the copy right. I think copyright naturally falls to me anyhow in this context. He has recently breached that copyright by taking elements of the film he has shot, and inserted them into his own course material (which he sells for profit) without my knowing or my consent. I have addressed this issue with him, instructed to take the clips out and confirm this with me in writing which he failed to confirm in writing, but on myself chasing this - says he has. I obviously don't really know.My question is; as copyright holder to this footage, and considering I am performing in this (as I will have performers rights too) - can I instruct him to delete this footage off of his databases / computer?
Hi, welcome to JA, I am Readylaw one of legal experts here.My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. I may also be that I am in court. I will however email you with a response before the end of the day. I ask therefore that you await a response.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
OK - that’s fine. Thank you.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry.

You have not said what it is that has led you to conclude that you are the holder of the copyright. This really would depend on the nature of any agreement that would have been signed by you both. For example, it is not automatic that as you are a performer you have rights and those rights would prevent him using the clips of your performance. This would all be governed by your agreement.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
We have a signed agreement where it outlines me as copyright holder and my organisation is trademarked

Oh I see. In which case you would be allowed to ask him to take it down. He would be required to have your consent in order to use the material.

I am stepping away from the system now. I am going into court.

If there are any further questions I will respond when next I am online. If there are no further questions, Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again. Have a great day.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
OK thanks.

Welcome