Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

I am currently working for an school in another country but

I am currently working for an school in another country but am deeply unhappy. If I broke contract and went back to the UK could the school sue me from overseas?
JA: The Employment Lawyer can help you determine if you have a case. Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: There are financial implications mentioned in the contract but if I left without them knowing, could I get still get sued in the UK?

The school could indeed sue you from overseas but unless there is a large amount of money involved (GBP20,000 equivalent) it’s not actually worth it.

They can issue court proceedings in their home country and then enforce them in the UK but the same applies.

They could sue you in the UK but as the contract was in another country, then unless the employer was in the UK then your defence would be that the UK court does not have jurisdiction.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question. I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
The contract states
"The employee can end the contract in accordance with the Countries Labour Law by giving the school 3 months notice. If the employee does not fulfil the 3 months notice, the employee will need to pay the full salary for the period not served."
Is the "period not served" the rest of the contract, or the rest of the 3 months. I'm unsure of the wording in this case.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Are you able to answer my question, or do I only get one question?

I am sorry, but this is not a chat service. It’s an email reply board and therefore there may be a delay getting back to you because we have clients and travelling and other users to deal with.

Sometimes we will get back to you in minutes, other times it will be longer.

It depends on the wording of the contract. If it’s for a fixed term then it could

well be until the end of the term.

It’s more likely to be the notice period but there’s no guarantee.