MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

This story is a little and complex so please bear with me. I

Customer Question

This story is a little long and complex so please bear with me. I work in a beauty salon as a hairstylist which is comprised of 12 chars, which the owner lets out to me in return for a monthly rent. I am self-employed (choose how often I work and set my own prices) however I am required to wear a uniform and devote a minimum of two hours each week for pro bono work. Whilst doing my pro bono work of giving a haircut to a homeless person which had been assigned to me by the lady who owns the salon, I acted negligently by using dirty clippers on the man which caused serious cuts to his head. I rushed to find a first-aid kit and tried to enter a stockroom but the door was locked. There was a sign which forbade me to enter but I kicked the door open anyway because it was an emergency. I tried to turn the light on but touched a live wire and suffered an electric shock, soon finding myself in hospital with serious injuries. The owner had recently hired a firm of electric engineers to upgrade wiring at the salon and it was unfinished at the time of my accident. Do I have any claims in tort?
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 11 days ago.
Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

I just want to clarify. Are you pertaining to injury claim?

If yes - in order to make a successful personal injury compensation claim, you need to be able to prove that the accident was caused due the negligence of another person or company. It is therefore not possible to make a claim if you were entirely at fault for causing the accident.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Any claim in tort really

To clarify - generally, if you are injured as a result of an accident that was your fault you will not be able to make a claim for compensation unless another person or organisation was also partly to blame for the accident. However, we have to take into consideration that you have ignored the warning sign which means that your employer did not breach his duty of care, which makes it impossible to claim for personal injury due to negligence of the company. 

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.