james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I am thinking of starting a new job and got the contract

Hello! I am thinking of starting a new job and got the contract today. It has a very extensive non-compete clause that really worries me. How can I check that this is even fair/ lawful?
JA: How long does the non-compete last? Is it limited to certain area or industry?
Customer: 3 months
JA: Where are you located? Non-compete laws vary by location.
Customer: in England
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: it says for 3 months anywhere in the UK that which develops, manufactures or markets products or performs services which are competitive with or similar to the products or services that are not only available but also under development or in planning during the 12 months preceding the date of termination. This is in the IT industry.
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter. 

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks!

In many job roles these days employees do include restrictive covenants for hen employees leave, these are there to protect the employer, and their customers, accounts and works.

Restrictive covenants are legal and allowed. Normally many employers would put a time frame of 6 months, and in some cases 12 months.

3 months time period is actually a short period of time and ver reasonable.

Ultimately, the prospective employee has the option of either accepting the covenants in the contract, or mot taking the job.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.