MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I'm after employment law advice... specifically equal pay

Customer Question

I'm after employment law advice... specifically equal pay and the equalities act
JA: Is this an hourly or salaried position? How many hours each week?
Customer: salaried position... I've been employed for 18 years
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the wage issue?
Customer: no just UCAS
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No thank you
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 8 days ago.

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 8 days ago.

If you can provide more details, I am happy to give an answer to your enquiry. Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
In 2020 I was accidentally sent an email where my Director discussed the salaries for my position which is an Account Manager. This alerted me to the fact that I'm paid £11k less than the defined rate for my position. All other colleagues are male. Since this date another female has joined who I expect will be in the same position as me.I have asked why my salary doesn't meet the banding and was told my salary had been reviewed, they cannot discuss confidential salaries of other employees. However based on the length of time served in my current role and experience my salary is appropriate and therefore will not be increasing it further at this time.Since this email in December 2020 I've been asking for details of what experience I'm lacking and nothing has been provided. I've called a meeting for tomorrow to discuss this further
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Also please note I've worked for the company and department for 18 years
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 8 days ago.

Pay or compensation discrimination occurs when employees performing similar work do not receive similar pay. Pay discrimination also occurs when a difference in pay has an unlawful basis such as race or sex. Pay discrimination based on an employee's membership in a protected category like race, disability, or sex, is prohibited by anti-discrimination laws.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 8 days ago.

Pay/compensation discrimination occurs when employees performing substantially equal work do not receive the same pay for their work. It is job content and not job titles that determine whether or not jobs are substantially equal.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 8 days ago.

Discrimination can occur due to sex or race, which are both prohibited under federal law. All forms of pay are covered by the law, including salary, overtime pay, bonuses, stock options, profit sharing and bonus plans, life insurance, vacation and holiday pay, cleaning or petrol allowances, hotel accommodations, reimbursement for travel expenses, and benefits.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
How do I start a pay discrimination case with my employer? at the moment they wont even acknowledge the difference in pay
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 8 days ago.

If you are not getting equal pay, you are able to make a claim to an employment tribunal for equal pay.

You might also be able to make a claim for sex discrimination, if you feel you were also treated unfairly because of your sex.

To make an equal pay claim, you must compare your pay and contractual terms and conditions against someone else (a 'comparator'). The comparator must:

· be of the opposite sex

· do 'equal work'

· work for the same employer

More than one comparator can be used. A comparator can be someone who currently works for you, or someone who used to.

An employment tribunal judge will consider factors including:

· whether the person making the claim is doing equal work, compared to a comparator

· any differences in pay and contractual terms and conditions between the person making the claim and their comparators

· if they followed the EHRC statutory code of practice on equal pay

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 8 days ago.

You would need to speak to a no win no fee employment lawyer. Bear with me I will send you a link on how to locate one.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 8 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.

Customer: replied 23 hours ago.
Hi... the link you've sent is to the law society website but this doesn't specify which solicitors are no win no fee... Do you know how to summarise this? thanks
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 20 hours ago.

Yes, it doesn't specify however, when you contact them, you should make sure to ask them if they do the case on a no win no fee basis.