Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I went to work after testing positive to covid, I wore a

I went to work after testing positive to covid, I wore a mask and gloves, my boss forced me to go home and threatened me with my job if I don't.
JA: When did this begin? Was the work environment intimidating, hostile, or abusive?
Customer: This morning 9:30 am, intimidating in the sense being threatened with my job.
JA: What kind of workplace is this (private sector, public sector, etc.)? How many employees?
Customer: Aluminium window manufacturing, private I think. 25 employees.
JA: Where are you located? Harassment laws vary by location.
Customer: Bedfordshire Bedford.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I'm at home after basically being threatened with my job.
Hello, I’m Ben, an employment solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you. I may ask for some information first to determine the legal position.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
O.k

I understand your employer has sent you home after testing positive for Covid. Please tell me when you actually carried out the test?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Yesterday 11pm.
OK thank you, ***** ***** to clarify you tested positive yesterday and went to work this morning; is this correct?

I note you have requested a phone call. Unfortunately I am not available for one at present but please do not worry as your request is open to all experts and if someone else is free they will call you. In the meantime, I am still here to deal with your original query in writing over this chat.

Please also confirm how long you have worked there for?

Hello, I was wondering if you have had a chance to consider my initial query above please? I will need your response before I provide an accurate answer to your situation. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Without the requested information, I can only provide you with some general information on this topic. Hopefully, it will still be useful to you. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues brought up by this. It must be a frustrating situation to be going through.

As far as the law currently stands, there is no legal requirement to self-isolate if you have tested positive for Dovid. Still, the employer may have their own policy which requires employees to self-isolate, just so they can keep the workplace safe and potentially avoid others there getting ill.

If it is their own policy which states that you cannot go into work if you have tested positive, then they should still pay you for the time you are off as it is their choice, rather than a legal requirement, and they should still honour your contractual terms.

In terms of being threatened with the sack, you could be disciplined if you unreasonably refuse to follow their policy which states you must remain off work if you are positive, although if you have been there for less than 2 years you have no unfair dismissal protection so they could easily sack you if they decide to.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.