Patrick;Lawyer
Patrick;Lawyer,
Experience:  Expert
114275491

I work part time (16 hours) 4 days 4 hours a day, I wish to

Customer Question

I work part time (16 hours) 4 days 4 hours a day, I wish to reduce this further to 12 hours, 3 days, 4 hours a day. I am am 68 and looking to reduce working gradually to final retirement. I have asked my employer but they have declined my request as they did not want to recruit for the one less day I wished to work. How to I stand legally and is there refusal reasonable?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Just my manager at this time.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee, no union membership
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I do enjoy the work, alcohol and drugs recovery service, but now my wife is now in receipt of her state pension we wish to spend more time together and embark on extended weekend trips.
Expert:  Patrick;Lawyer replied 15 days ago.

Hello there and thank you for choosing to use our service. I am an experienced litigation solicitor specialising in pragmatic risk management. I have worked in the law across multiple jurisdictions since 1999 including USA, Ireland and England and Wales where I gained most of my practical knowledge and experience over 16 plus years. My MO with Just Answer is to provide a clear answer to your question in an efficient way. Let’s strive to achieve this together by working in tandem with your questions. This is not an instant text function but I will answer your query directly over the next 24/48 hours. This is a collaborative and interactive service so please provide as much focused information as possible in order to optimise your experience and value obtained from our platform. Keep calm and focused as these are prerequisites in commencing any legal transaction or defending any legal action or early dispute. I will return to you as quickly as I can to provide my top level summary / RSVP, request for additional information and practical guidance ~ if appropriate. This answer will not constitute any client / attorney relationship but it is my firm intention to deliver a direct answer to your question. Regards

Did you frame your request for this reduction formally in writing and if so - did they respond with a written response to?  Happy to hear more and important to ensure you are Mr Reasonable in all such exchanges ‘ you’re effectively in a negotiation and of course you have employment rights - be assured.  How long have you worked there please too?  Regards

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Worked with the service now for 5 years, the request so far has just been verbal at a recent supervision, my immediate line manager was not adverse to my proposal but the service manager, her line manager, responded with a no on the grounds of not wishing or having to recruit to cover the 4 hours less a week I was seeking.

Verbals not a good idea.  You must start the process of committing your request to paper.  I’ll be back online later.  Regards

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I will be happy to submit my request in writing but I am really seeking to understand if I have any employment right to reduce my hours, I wish my employment to remain amicable but if a formal request is ultimately viable then that is what I shall do.

Reasonable employer solutions to fair or reasonable requests from employees is the golden rule.  As long as you don’t push matters and frame everything in a reasonable way you should be able to obtain your ideal outcome.  Regards

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** can now proceed with some confidence, best wishes John

Polite, professional and crisp and if occupational health or a new contract is required - just allow due process  to play out and keep doing your job to your best abilities.  Please keep a journal to capture any unfairness but please do not see the process as being stacked against you.  Regards

I would be happy to assist with any follow up, checking or clarification required here. We offer additional, customised services beyond this Q&A function if you wish to consider that option. I will close out with my final thoughts upon your response. Regards