Solicitor4All
Solicitor4All, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

My son drives for bus company and he has just had his

Customer Question

My son drives for bus company and he has just had his contract updated which includes that if he has an accident in one of their buses he is responsible for paying the excess. Can this be right?
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: As far as I know it was copied from another bus company contract, but not discussed with his superior.
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: Employees, some are on zero contracts.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Only that my son has signed his contract!
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 21 days ago.

Hello there, how do you do?

I am Solicitor4All a law expert with over 15years practice. I will be helping you today. Thank you for the inquiry.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
has he hung himself by signing the contract?

Thank you for the brief

Please leave the inquiry with me and i will prepare a response for you here this evening. Thank you.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I will have to stop you as I cannot afford another £44
Hi, I will respond here typing for you don’t worry.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
OK, thanks.

Thank you for your patience. If he is an employee as opposed to self employed you would not expect him to pay excess unless the accident is due to his fault so I would strongly advise him to check if this new term is for any accident not just fault accidents. He can challenge any provision to pay excess where he hasn’t caused the accident.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. I am always glad to clarify and to assist further if needed. All the best

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I am told that it is only for an accident that he causes. It includes breaking mirrors which isn't too hard to do.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hello, have you gone?

Thank you for your message. That then is very standard across drivers regrettably. If he is careful he will not have to pay this excess.