Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

Can a volunteer parish councillor take on a HR role without

Customer Question

Can a volunteer parish councillor take on a HR role without any qualification.
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: As far as I am aware the role was just created by the Parish council.
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: There is only three paid employees, There is no set workplace it is a parish council and there 2 part time jobs librarian and parish clerk,1 full time caretaker.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.
Hello, I’m Ben, an employment solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you. I may ask for some information first to determine the legal position.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

I understand you are wanting to know whether a parish councillor can taken on a HR related role without any related qualification. Please provide some more details of the circumstances so that I can better understand and assist you with this query. Thank you

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The Parish Council created the “section” within their working practices. The parish clerk is not involved. Three Parish Councillors are asked by the clerk if they want to volunteer to deal with the issue. As far as l am aware none of them are qualified.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

OK thank you, ***** ***** they have any experience or an understand of HR?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No, l would prefer to continue with a dialogue.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

No problem. Phone calls are an additional service, which is entirely optional and I am still here to deal with your original query in writing over this chat.

Please also tell me if they have any experience, or an understanding of HR

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
As far as l am aware l have never seen a parish notice regarding HR. Two of the Parish Councillors have had their own business.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now. I will get back to you with my full reply on here; usually the same day and the system will notify you when this happens. 

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, it is appreciated. I am now pleased to be able to provide further assistance with your query.

You do not need any specific qualifications to work in an HR role. Not legally required ones anyway. An employer may want their HR staff t have certain training or qualifications but that is their choice and usually done to make them stand out to their clients, or to ensure that they get a certain level of experience from their staff. However, there is nothing stopping someone from assigning a person in an HR role even if they have never dealt with HR matters before and have zero experience, basically training them on the job.

So to answer your question, yes it is entirely possible and legal for that to happen.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this, please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be happy to help. All the best.