How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 17075
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I work in labaratory and use nitril gloves as I have an

Customer Question

Hi, I work in labaratory and use nitril gloves as I have an allergy. I stated this to my directors at work place before I start working for them. They had to do occupational health assessment before I start but they did not do. I had operational reaction because of that and no documentation had been done regarding this. Some people suggested me to sue them but I am worried that it will effect my career and visa situation
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

Sorry to hear of this.

Your employer owe you a duty of care and to ensure your health and safety in the workplace. They have to risk assess the workplace and minimise the risk of injuries. If there are any injuries then they must record them in the accident report book. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) can prosecute an employer if they fail to do all of the above, as in your case.

As for suing them yes, this is possible though you need injuries serious enough to warrant medial attention to justify damages.

It sounds like they were negligent however you will need a law firm to sue them in a negligence claim. They will have compulsory employer's liability insurance cover so the claim goes through the insurer.

You should be offered a no win no fee agreement meaning nothing to pay up front and you are fully protected from any legal costs if you lose.

The following firms operate in this area and any of them would be fine :






Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

You are also perfectly entitled to bring a claim too - they cannot treat you any differently as if they do, you also have an employment claim too.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

As for the visa, it depends if they sponsored you or not - if you sue them, it may cause an issue. But you do have up to 3 years to issue a claim at court for a personal injury claim so you could sue them once you leave.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

I hope this helps

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,


Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,


Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Instead of negligence, what employment claim do I have?
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 14 days ago.
Hi, if you could ask an employment lawyer - it’s no extra charge for a second opinion on this site. For any issues please let customer services know by email:***@******.***. Thanks