ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Laywer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

My boss fired two days ago because I had a really bad eye

Customer Question

Hi my boss fired two days ago because I had a really bad eye problem to the point where I couldn’t see properly so I had to go the hospital and they said that if you can’t make it to work you’re fired and won’t pay me the time that I have worked which is a whole month so idk what to do
JA: When did this happen? Have you filed a complaint?
Customer: wed
JA: What kind of workplace is this (private sector, public sector, etc.)? How many employees?
Customer: public it a restaurant Sorry it’s private
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the termination?
Customer: Nah I haven’t the think is I’m student and I was suppose to get paid weekly and I have been asking the whole month pay me and they haven’t being doing anything
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yea is just I was getting sick for few weeks ago cos I had a really bad flu and I told them but they forced me to come in and work at that day as well which I did so I don’t get it. Feeling sick is not my fault as I have a medication condition
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.
Hi welcome to justanswer
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
in this job I worked sometime back and I have worked 12hrs shift with no breaks
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. Your employer really is not permitted in law t9 dismiss you simply because you are I’ll. They also cannot refuse to lay you in these circumstances.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

You may want to consider bringing a legal action against them for this. It does sound to me as though it could amount to discrimination. The law requires for you to first see whether this can be resolved amicably via mediation.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

To assist with the mediation process you may contact ACAS. this is a free independent body that can assist with the mediation process. Here is their information

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I already informed them that I have a medical condition and if they need any evidence I can get from my hospital which I did
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

If mediation is unsuccessful you may have to consider bringing a claim against your employer via the employment tribunal

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Np thank you everything is clear now and Ik what to do. Thanks.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

You are welcome all the best