Solicitor4All
Solicitor4All, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

As a casual part time worker with 14 years service am I

Customer Question

As a casual part time worker with 14 years service am I entitled to redundancy payment
JA: Was this retaliation? Or based on age, race, religion, gender, or disability?
Customer: no the job was just stopped with just one days notice
JA: What kind of workplace is this (private sector, public sector, etc.)? How many employees?
Customer: a primary school breakfast club
JA: Where are you located? Workplace termination laws vary by location.
Customer: Burton on Trent in Staffordshire
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no nothing else
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 17 days ago.

A very good day to you there, how do you do?

My name is Solicitor4All a law expert with over 15years practice. I will be helping you today. Thank you for the inquiry.

First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues brought up by this. It must be a frustrating situation to be going through Please leave the inquiry with me and i will prepare a response for you here this afternoon. Thank you.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
If you are a strict casual worker and not a casual employee then there is no right to redundancy pay unfortunately. The definition of employee can help you determine if you are a worker or indeed a casual employee. 

The Employment Rights Act 1996 (ERA) (section 230) defines an ‘employee’ as an ‘individual who has entered into or works under (or where the employment has ceased, worked under) a contract of employment.’ The ERA defines a contract of employment as a ‘contract of service or apprenticeship, whether express or implied, and (if it is express), whether oral or in writing.’

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. Always glad to assist and clarify anything. All the best,

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks for reply
I was casual employee not strict casual
and worked 14 years

If you have an employment contract and you are certain you were a casual employee then request from HR to be considered for the redundancy pay and they would confirm or they may say why they do not consider you an employee.