How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marcinlondon Your Own Question
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 859
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Marcinlondon is online now

Do you give advice on employment law? my manager, employed

Customer Question

Hi - do you give advice on employment law?
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: my manager
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: employed and no union
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no I think thats it
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I’ve been having informal conversations with my manager about role scope. About 3 years ago my role scope was reduced without formal process; about half my direct reports and areas I were responsible for was moved to someone else. More recently we’ve had further conversations about for the functions within my remit moving elsewhere…. My role would still exist, but with probably half or less of the scope that I was originally employed for.. Should I qualify for redundancy?
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 16 days ago.

Hello, this isCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online. You will have a chance to request a call. You will see an automatic prompt. Please feel free to request it but do not feel obliged to do so. Please do note that my response is not instantaneous but I will always aim to get back to you on the same day with my answer, or request more information, if appropriate. Lastly, please note that our discussion on this site is for general information purposes only and do not replace any legal advice you might need, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for my answer.

Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 16 days ago.

I am sorry to hear about this. It depends. If your employer believes that a redundancy is necessary, they will have to:

  • follow their internal  a redundancy policy, it may be a good idea to ask for such a policy so that you know if your redundancy is expected;
  • a collective agreement with a trade union (if there is one)

They will then have to follow a fair redundancy process which usually includes:

  • consulting staff; or
  • collectively consulting staff if more than 20 are at risk of redundancy.

It may be best to ask this question in writing addressed to your HR.

Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 14 days ago.
I hope this helps. Feel free to get back with anything else. In the meantime, many thanks for using our service.