james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I have been made redundant after only 11 months. The

Customer Question

Hi. I have been made redundant after only 11 months. The redundancy notice specifies 30 days. However, I am paid monthly and my contract states “1 month’s notice”. Is it within the firm’s rights to give me 30 days’ notice rather than 1 calendar month (my employment ends mid-July currently).
JA: Was this retaliation? Or based on age, race, religion, gender, or disability?
Customer: No retaliation or prejudice
JA: What kind of workplace is this (private sector, public sector, etc.)? How many employees?
Customer: Private sector. Less than 10 permanent employees
JA: Where are you located? Workplace termination laws vary by location.
Customer: Home based, Oxford
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  james bruce replied 14 days ago.
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter. 

The calculation can be made either Callander month of 30 days. Flexibility is allowed , so yes the employer can give 30 days notice if it is specified in the contract.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok thanks

Your welcome.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No that’s it thanks. I didn’t realise a month could be interpreted as 30 days
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks again

Your welcome.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.