Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I have had a accident at work and need some advice to claim

Customer Question

Good morning I have had a accident at work and need some advice to claim compensation
JA: Did you document the injury to management or HR? What happened?
Customer: Yes
JA: Where are you located? Workers' comp law varies by location.
Customer: Rugby central surgery doctors practice
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.
Hello, I’m Ben, an employment solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you. I may ask for some information first to determine the legal position.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

I understand you have had an accident at your place of work and are wanting to claim compensation. Please provide me with some more details of what exactly happened

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Good morning
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

Hi there.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I slipped on a wet floor Thursday 9th june
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

Thank you. Please explain this in some more detail. Why was the floor wet, why were you in the area at the time etc. I need to understand your situation please

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I work as a healthcare assistant and part of my daily am job is to open the area up and replenish for the day ahead. The contract cleaners are a new company and arrive about 6.45 am I think to clean the building before staff arrive. The surgery/ staff arrive from 7.30 I start at 8am my first daily job is to go into a area called isolation. Which has a corridor and 3 consultation rooms which are used from 8am daily. As I entered the room I slipped on a wet sort of greasy floor and fell onto my right buttock and jolted my lower back and right shoulder blade
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No wet floor sign was in and no windows were open
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

OK I understand. Did you require any medical attention at all?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I reported into the accident book. As the following days have continued my pain has got worse and Monday 13th June I was referred to the in house physiotherapist
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Tuesday 14 pain increased and wasn’t able to sleep that evening Wednesday 15th I left work early. I had a consultation with a doctor on Friday who has given pain relief
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

OK thank you, ***** ***** are you ideally hoping to achieve, given the circumstances, so that I can best advise?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Compensation for negligence I’m currently off work as I’m unable to move my shoulder
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now. I will get back to you with my full reply on here; usually the same day and the system will notify you when this happens.

I should also make you aware that this is not always an instant service, due to various legal engagements I could have and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I will be dealing with your query and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks for you advice
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

No problem at all. I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. Many thanks

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, it is appreciated. I am now pleased to be able to provide further assistance with your query. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues brought up by this. It must be a frustrating situation to be going through.

A personal injury (PI) claim is aimed at claiming compensation for injuries sustained, in order to try and restore the injured person to the position they would have been in had the injury not happened. Obviously, that will often be impossible as the injuries cannot be undone, but at least the injured party can claim for financial compensation to help with the trauma and any medical costs.

For a PI claim to succeed, the injured party has to show the following factors apply:

- that the other party owed them a duty of care;

- that such duty of care was breached, either deliberate or negligently;

- that the breach caused them to suffer an injury;

- that such injuries were reasonably foreseeable in the circumstances. The injuries could be either physical or mental, or both.

There are two types of compensation that can be claimed for:

- General damages - based upon medical evidence and the amount depends on how the injuries affect the claimant now and how they will affect them in the future.

- Special damages - designed to put the claimant back in the financial position they were in as if the accident had never occurred.

In terms of taking this further, due to the technical nature of PI claims, it is always recommended to use a specialist lawyer to help with the claim. Many can offer free initial advice and then can also consider taking the claim on a no-win-no-fee basis if they believe there are decent prospects of success.

A search for qualified lawyers can be made here:

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Another option worth considering is the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL), a not-for-profit association of solicitors, barristers and academics who specialise in personal injuries work (https://www.apil.org.uk)

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thankyou I will contact them
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this, please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be happy to help. All the best.