How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Turner Your Own Question
Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 2754
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ed Turner is online now

Is it legal for your employer. (if for instance you didnt

Customer Question

is it legal for your employer. (if for instance you didnt apear in work on a monday)you lose that days earnings and he also takes a further £100 off your working earning on top off your days lose
JA: Is this an hourly or salaried position? How many hours each week?
Customer: im self employed with a 50 hour a week hours no contract
JA: Where is he located? Wage-and-hour laws vary by location.
Customer: sunderland
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 12 days ago.

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England and Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 12 days ago.

I am sorry that you are facing a potential dispute with your contractor client over unpaid fees but hopefully I can assist you in resolving the matter before it escalates and you are forced to incur significant further legal costs.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 12 days ago.

As you are not an Employee or a Worker, you do not have the right to issue Proceedings in the Employment Tribunal for Unfair Dismissal. You must issue Proceedings for Breach of Contract in the County Courts for your unpaid fees.

You should send a Letter of Claim to the Client. The consumer protection advice magazine/website “Which?” has a useful template (for supplier-customer disputes) which you can adapt to your claim.

If the Client does not reply with their reasons for disputing the claim within 21 days, you should issue court proceedings via the Government’s Small Claims Track Online system. The issue fee will be no more than £410.00 for a claim worth up to £10,000.00 damages.

A party cannot normally recover solicitors’ costs on the Small Claims Track. However, it is designed for non-lawyers (known as “Litigants In Person”). The trials are relatively informal, and the judges do not expect parties to have the same legal knowledge as experienced solicitors and barristers.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
i just want 2 know if its legal 2 take that £100 pound out my wages its theft is it not
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 12 days ago.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you, but I must be as honest as possible with you to advise in your best interests.

I hope this is a satisfactory initial reply to your question and you understand my recommendations. Please revert to me if you do not understand anything and require clarification of my answer and I shall be delighted to assist.

I can also offer a Premium Service Consultation for an additional fee if you need detailed and bespoke legal advice. If you accept, I will pass you my direct email address and phone number. I can review any relevant documentation and consult with you by telephone for around 20 minutes. This will give you a clearer picture of your legal position and your potential options for progressing the matter to the next stage.

Kind regards


Expert:  Ed Turner replied 12 days ago.

Your client is entitled not to pay you for the day you missed due to illness, but they cannot deduct any more from your fees as this is a breach of contract.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 12 days ago.

I hope that you are satisfied with my reply and wish you all the very best in resolving this matter.

If you require further legal advice from me, please create a new text thread on the portal and start it with @EdTurner. I will be notified of your request and prioritise it.

Kind regards