GabrielP428
GabrielP428, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
112518128

I was self employed with a company that owes me money and

Customer Question

I was self employed with a company that owes me money and they are refusing to pay me what they owe me
JA: Have you filed a claim for unpaid wages?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Where are you located? Unpaid wage laws vary by location.
Customer: Nottingham
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: They have only sent me one invoice which states what I work the month they got rid of me
Expert:  GabrielP428 replied 10 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** am a solicitor in England and Wales with 9 years of experience and have worked in the legal sector since 2008.

This service is not instant, so please note that I cannot always reply immediately due to other work commitments. I look forward to helping you with your legal problem.

If you would like a call to discuss this further, please let me know

A call is a premium service that includes an extra charge.

Hi, I am sorry to hear about this.

Is there a written agreement?

What is the outstanding amount they owe you?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
They have a copy on my contract and I didn't get sent it in an email. They owe me £300 from a June payment but as I worked close with them they was a lot of face to face conversation

You are welcome. I am happy I was able to offer some help. If you have further questions, please feel I hope I was able to offer some help. Thank you so much for using Just Answer.

If you have further questions, please ask them in this thread or you can open a new thread and mark it for my attention (GabrielP428) or choose me in the subject heading as your preferred expert from your membership page.

Ignore the above!

Are there refusing the pay because of the quality of the work?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
That's what they say but they was the ones not to tell me to come in on set days that I agreed to
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I don't have the £44 for a call

We can chat here.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I would prefer to chat on here

If there is a contact, it is legally binding on both. Parties and have to pay what they owe you regardless of the quality. Unless there is a clause in the contract that says you will only get paid if you produce specific or high-quality work.

1. I would send them a formal letter before claim (you can use the template below or find other templates online)
  2. -f they ignore the letters, you can start a small money claim online against them. This can be done at: https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome.
  3. This link has some helpful information https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/legal-system/small-claims/making-a-small-clai. The process is user-friendly and relatively easy. 

You can use this letter as a template which I amended for you:

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear Sirs,

Re: Claim for (insert sum)

I refer to the above matter. (Insert details of the dispute).

I have provided services to you on a self-employed basis, and you have paid to pay my invoice dated  (date). We have a written contract which is legally binding, and you are under an obligation to pay me for my work. 

If they do not send me the payment within 14 days, I will have no choice but to issue a money claim against you for the outstanding amount. 

This letter is being sent to you in accordance with the Pre-Action Protocol (“the Protocol”) contained within the Civil Procedure Rules (“CPR”). In particular, I refer you to paragraph 7 of the Protocol, and paragraphs 13 to 16 of the Practice Direction on Pre-Action Conduct and Protocols regarding the Court’s powers to impose sanctions for failing to comply with the provisions of the Protocol.

I therefore put you on notice of my intention to issue county court proceedings against your company for my losses should I not receive payment in full by 4 pm on (insert date 14 calendar days).

Should court proceedings be necessary I will claim the court issue fee and statutory interest. Should I succeed in obtaining a judgment, the same will be transferred to the High Court for enforcement against you whereby further costs will be added to the judgment sum.

I trust the above will not be necessary and I therefore look forward to hearing from you as a matter of urgency.

Yours sincerely,

(insert name)

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank to
Customer: replied 10 days ago.