How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MatthewM1117 Your Own Question
MatthewM1117, Advocate
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 1519
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
MatthewM1117 is online now

My employer is withholding my salary due to a dispute within

Customer Question

Hi my employer is withholding my salary due to a dispute within the workplace. It was due to be paid yesterday. I am on payroll and have received a payslip but have not received anything in writing as to why it is being withheld. What action do I need to take in order to recover my salary?
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 15 days ago.
Good afternoon thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a practising solicitor with several years experience and I will be assisting you today. Please note that this is a Q and A platform and no lawyer client relationship is created. I am sorry to hear about your circumstances, I would advise that the first step would be to raise a formal grievance in relation to the non payment. If this does not resolve the matter you could engage the services of ACAS.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Matthew thanks for your response, I don’t know if you recall but you gave me advice previously regarding my cash in hand payments being overpaid
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It was on 26th of July, unfortunately I have been unable to resolve the situation internally and I have 2 members off staff both testify that I have done nothing wrong so what course of action do you recommend I take now
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for the clarification, the next step would be to start legal proceedings to recover the monies. 

To commence this you would need to enter into conciliation with ACAS, using the following link:

This is a free and impartial service whereby ACAS will try to resolve the matter between yourselves and the employer. This will often involve settling payment for wages owed. If this  fails they will issue a certificate allowing you to bring a claim to the employment tribunal.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok many thanks for your help
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 15 days ago.

Glad to be off assistance, we wish you all the best going forwards.