MatthewM1117
MatthewM1117, Advocate
Experience:  Expert
110754241

My employer is withholding my salary due to a dispute within

Customer Question

Hi my employer is withholding my salary due to a dispute within the workplace. It was due to be paid yesterday. I am on payroll and have received a payslip but have not received anything in writing as to why it is being withheld. What action do I need to take in order to recover my salary?
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 15 days ago.
Good afternoon thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a practising solicitor with several years experience and I will be assisting you today. Please note that this is a Q and A platform and no lawyer client relationship is created. I am sorry to hear about your circumstances, I would advise that the first step would be to raise a formal grievance in relation to the non payment. If this does not resolve the matter you could engage the services of ACAS.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Matthew thanks for your response, I don’t know if you recall but you gave me advice previously regarding my cash in hand payments being overpaid
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It was on 26th of July, unfortunately I have been unable to resolve the situation internally and I have 2 members off staff both testify that I have done nothing wrong so what course of action do you recommend I take now
Thank you for the clarification, the next step would be to start legal proceedings to recover the monies. 

To commence this you would need to enter into conciliation with ACAS, using the following link: https://tell.acas.org.uk/

This is a free and impartial service whereby ACAS will try to resolve the matter between yourselves and the employer. This will often involve settling payment for wages owed. If this  fails they will issue a certificate allowing you to bring a claim to the employment tribunal.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok many thanks for your help

Glad to be off assistance, we wish you all the best going forwards.