MatthewM1117
MatthewM1117, Advocate
Experience:  Expert
110754241

Work not paying wages what should I do

Customer Question

Work not paying wages what should I do
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 10 days ago.
Good afternoon thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a practising solicitor with several years experience and I will be assisting you today. Please note that this is a Q and A platform and no lawyer client relationship is created. I am sorry to hear about your circumstances, have you raised the issue with the workplace?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have raised the issue to them they refused to ignore it
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
This is a self employed company who work with yodel they said I would get paid 80 per day for the work last week and the week before I have worked 10 days plus last week I did work over 60 hours that week they said they would pay me on Saturday but on Saturday I crashed the van in an accident since then I've tried contacting them got no reply
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Because I was doing overtime this has made me possible in the van accident
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Because I was overtime and I was tired and stressed

Thank you for the clarification, if company does not pay or if they refuse for whatever reason, you can sue them in the county court for your losses on the money claim site (www.moneyclaim.gov.uk) although I recommend sending the company a letter before action to warn them of your intentions first and allow them 14 days to reimburse you. If they do not reimburse, you are free to issue a claim.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Us it illegal to work over 48 hours

Have you opted out of the working time regulations?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I'm not contracted
It is not illegal for a self employed person to work over 48 hours a week. The working Tim regulation do not apply to self employed persons.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you do u recommend sending a letter
I would advise sending a letter first requesting payment.