Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I have started a petition at work, and my employer is

Hi There,
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have started a petition at work, and my employer is unhappy about it. What are my legal rights and what is the best way to go forward
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Not yet. I will have a meeting with my HR and Financial Director next week
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I'm an employee and I do not belong to any union
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I sent the in-house petition with a letter to our Chief Executive this week and officially they havenºt respond it yet
Hello, I’m Ben, an employment solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you. I may ask for some information first to determine the legal position.

How long have you worked there for, please? I also wanted to make you aware that this is not always an instant service, due to various legal engagements I could have and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your query and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
For 7 Yearºs
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
7 year's

What is the petition about?

Hello, I was wondering if you have had a chance to consider my initial query above please? I will need your response before I provide an accurate answer to your situation. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Without the requested information, I can only provide you with some general information on this topic. Hopefully, it will still be useful to you. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues brought up by this. It must be a frustrating situation to be going through.

If you have concerns about the way your employer has treated you, then you can always raise a formal grievance about it with them.

You can get a detailed explanation of the grievance process here:

https://www.acas.org.uk/grievance-procedure-step-by-step

In summary, an employee is expected to submit their concerns in writing and send them to their line manager, or whoever is nominated as the person to send grievances to under an official workplace grievance policy.

The complaint should include details of what the grievance is about, any evidence that may exist which is relevant and also what the employee wants their employer to do about this issue.

Once the grievance has been submitted, the employer is expected to arrange a formal grievance hearing, inviting the employee to attend and discuss the nature of their complaint. The meeting is also as an opportunity to ask for further clarification or information, as required.

Following the meeting, the employer will take time to consider all the issues and evidence and then make a decision, communicating it to the employee. If the outcome is not to the complainant’s satisfaction, they can appeal and get a second opinion from a different person assigned by the employer to consider the appeal. Once the appeal is also completed, that brings to an end the formal grievance process and there is no option to escalate it further internally.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Ben,
I do apologize for the delay, but I just saw your emails.My Petition is regarding the Government HSC STAFF RECOGNITION PAYMENTMy company applied on our behalf (as they should), but took on themselves to use the recognition payment of the staff that worked during covid to increase the wages of the company for all staff including new staff. At any time we were informed about the Government payout to staff that worked during the pandemic so it was like it never happened, we know now that our home manager knows about it but everything was kept quiet. The Government set up this Recognition payment for only the staff that worked during covid pandemic and it should have been paid in one go unless a particular member of staff would prefer to receive their SRP any other way.
A few members of staff called HR asking for information bout it and they were shut down. As soon as I was aware of all of this, I asked my Home Manager if this information was correct, and she didnºt understands exactly what it was but She know that the Company had made other plans with our SRC. So with all of that, I decided to start a Petition in our home, so we can claim and receive what we are entitled to. I informed my Home Manager that I was going to start a petition and so I did. To avoid any future problems with the company, the petition was only known in our home (the company has 24 care homes), and only our staff know about it so they could sign it (away from visitors, etc).
I sent the petition this week with a sign-for letter explaining the reason to our Company Chief Executive, with a copy to the Director of HR, Director of Finance, and Director of Operations. I know they are not happy about it and I am waiting for their formal invite for a meeting but I got this information (under the carpet). I believe that what they have done is unlawful but I need to be prepared for this meeting so any advice you can give me is much appreciated.
GOV lINK- https://www.health-ni.gov.uk/news/hsc-special-recognition-payment-faqsBest Regards,
Carla Silva

Are you based in Northern Ireland?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No, England

ok the informaiotn you have provided is for Northern Ireland. As far as I know and I have researched that in the past as other customers have asked similar queries, this payment was never actually introduced in England and I think only Scotland and NI had it implemented

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank You for help

My pleasure