How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Adi Your Own Question
Dr Adi
Dr Adi, Professor
Category: Endocrinology
Satisfied Customers: 284
Experience:  Director of the Pediatric Diabetes Clinics at UCSF.
Type Your Endocrinology Question Here...
Dr Adi is online now

Please could you help? I have suffered with hypothyroidism

Customer Question

Please could you help? I have suffered with hypothyroidism for a long time...Approx. 35years. During this time an Endocrinologist in Johannesburg SA found that I should change to a drug called Diotroxin after indepth blood tests. These pills helped me tremendously.
I have now moved to London and I have a very nice doctor on the NHS. He took me off this pill and put me onto 1 Levothyroxine each day.
Since them I have felt energy, gained weight, depression, tremendous hair loss, very dry skin, sluggish, bad arthritis in my hands etc. he tested me the normal way as said my thyroid was fine. When I asked for the more intense fasting blood test, where the need is for T3 and T4, he said it wasn't necessary. I have steadily felt worse!
I have always been in fitness....Aerobics Instructor/Dance instructor/ now teach Pilates as well. Recently I have had a spinal operation for Stenosis and have not been as active as usual, but I feel so terrible and knowing my body,the way I do,just tells me that my thyroid is definitely giving me major problems again.
What should I do? Thank you in advance.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
What is your current TSH value?