How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Endocrinology
Satisfied Customers: 19317
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Endocrinology Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

Following a complicated campylobacter infection approx.

Customer Question

Hello....following a complicated campylobacter infection approx. 2 years ago and associated diagnostic blood tests, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and progressively medicated to 100 mug of levothyroxine which is what I continue to take now. I am suffering other awful symptoms eg muscle aches, headaches neck aches and lethargy.most of the time feeling depressed with it and think these symptoms are related to the medication. I have been to see my GP and not offered any other options. My thyroid level is 1.2 and I am sixty seven years of age. Any help or advice please? I am not on any other medication and have not seen or been referred to an endocrinologist. I take the thyroxine at night!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
I assume that the thyroid level that you referenced is the TSH level, correct?
Have you had any other blood work done?
If so, what has been done?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
If this is the TSH and there has not been any other blood tests done, then the next step would be further evaluation. This should include a general chemistry profile and a blood count, and may also include a CPK and magnesium level. Depending upon the findings on exam and these intitial blood tests, additional testing, such as of adrenal function, also may be apropriate.

If your GP is not willing to perform further evaluation, then you should request referral to a specialist.