How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Endocrinology
Satisfied Customers: 65671
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Endocrinology Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

I have 3 children, 2 of which are quite shorter than their

Customer Question

hi I have 3 children, 2 of which are quite shorter than their peer group. My daughter aged 14 & son aged 11 1/2. I am concerned with their growth hormone. they have grown over 5cm in last year. I am 5'5" and my husband is 5'8". my daughter is 4'7 & m son is 4'3. Please advise
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Thank you,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Shantal I'm still waiting! If unable to assist, please refund. thank u
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialties differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
HelloYou would need to have them referred to an endocrinologist.You and your husband are short stature, and your children normally would be as well. It is unlikely that this is a growth hormone problem.Your daughter is not likely to benefit from hormone therapy as this point.Your son might if he qualifies. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Why would my daughter not benefit? Also, what are the side effects & is treatment successful & worth the risk?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
She is 14 and it is likely that there would be no effect given her age. However, the endocrinologist can determine that.Very little in the way of side effects, usually, but joint pain can occurs, high blood sugars, etc.Not usually when monitored.Treatment rarely adds more than .5 to 1 inch to the height outcomes.