How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Adi Your Own Question
Dr Adi
Dr Adi, Professor
Category: Endocrinology
Satisfied Customers: 284
Experience:  Director of the Pediatric Diabetes Clinics at UCSF.
Type Your Endocrinology Question Here...
Dr Adi is online now

I would like to ask a question about my son he is 17. He

Customer Question

Hi I would like to ask a question about my son he is 17. He had a scan at 14 that showed he had delayed bone age of one year. Which explained his short stature and delayed puberty. Puberty began age 15. He is concerned about his final adult height as is currently 5ft8inches he hasn't grown in the last 10 months. I am 5tf 5 inches & his father is just under 6ft. SGA children do generally catch up, but their bone age can surpass their chronological age, negating any extra growing time. It is important to monitor an SGA child's bone age to ensure the window isn't missed. I asked our GP about having another bone scan to clarify this, but she said it isn't necessary. His bloods were normal. I asked about his growth hormone level and she said it was fine. I have left this for several months now but I'm wondering if I should seek a private specialist. Any advice would be greatly appreciated kind regards ***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Thank you,
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. Davidhis height of 5'8" is not considered short stature for his age and with his parents heights.I understand you want him to grow as tall as possible.and your son will continue to growevery child grows at their own rate.his doctors are not worried about his growth rate and can seek a private specialist and then can do more blood tests and xrays,but I suspect that these tests will show normal and he will continue to grow as his body doeslet me know if you have questions.