DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Endocrinology Expert

I am a healthy 31 year old male suffering all symptoms associated

I am a healthy 31 year old male suffering all symptoms associated with a low testosterone level. My total test level is 11.5 nmol/litre which is obviously very low for my age. My GP isn't interested in helping me as I fall within the so called normal reference range regardless of my level being well off the average for my age. What steps can I take to get treated as I simply can't carry on with the symptoms I've suffered with for a few years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to add to my question, all other levels have been checked including: folate, pituitary function, thyroid function, blood glucose levels, glandular fever, kidney function, celiac and maybe a few more that were all ok. My blood glucose was slightly low which I know can sometimes be linked to low testosterone but my doctor brushed it off as it was due to me not eating the morning of the blood test. I eat a healthy balanced diet and try my best to keep active at the gym buy it is becoming increasingly hard.
Thanks for this questionI'm Dr. Phil and I'm ready to helpYou need to see an endocrinologist privatelyI agree you need treated for thisno doubt
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this something that I could get treated for through the NHS? When I mentioned about the possibility of getting referred to an endocrinologist my doctor said they would wonder why I was referred to them as my testosterone levels fall within the "normal" range.
I don't think so. you would need to go private
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just one more follow up question if that's ok and then I shall rate you. Would an endocrinologist deem my testosterone level low enough to warrant treatment, even though it falls within the normal range it's still very low for my age? Thanks.
Yes, I believe a private one would