How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bob Your Own Question
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Category: Endocrinology
Satisfied Customers: 5686
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
Type Your Endocrinology Question Here...
Dr. Bob is online now

I have all the symptoms of Hypothyroidism or an auto-immune

Customer Question

Hi there, I have all the symptoms of Hypothyroidism or an auto-immune condition such as Hashimoto's. I also have a history of recurrent miscarriage at 6 to 7 weeks. Currently 6 weeks pregnant & taking daily Labetalol (100mg x3), progesterone (400mg) & aspirin (75mg). Recent bloods show TSH at 2.95 (but 5.77 previous week), Free T3 at 5.3, Free T4 at 13.3, SHBG at 38, Cortisol at 107, B12 at 535, Ferritin at 100 & Red flags by Cholesterol, Liver, Lymphocytes, Platelet count & Inorganic Phosphate. Awaiting thyroid antibodies tests. Does this indicate hypothyroidism & should I see my GP or an Endocrinologist privately ASAP for treatment.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. I would need the reference ranges of your laboratory to be able to interpret these results. Also keep in mind that the levels can change somewhat from day to day within the normal range, so changes such as the drop in TSH may not be significant and must be interpreted in light of the clinical situation. Because you are pregnant, your hormone levels are more susceptible to fluctuations and must be monitored. Your GP can do this for you. However, if you want a higher level of expertise in terms of assessing you for hypothyroidism and monitoring your hormone status throughout your pregnancy, seeing an endocrinologist would make sense. I would suggest you await the results of the thyroid antibody panel first and see what your GP says. If you are not satisfied with the explanation or plan going forward, see the specialist.