How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Endocrinology
Satisfied Customers: 65671
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Endocrinology Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

I have had thyroid problems 5 years.I am 48yrs old. My count

Customer Question

I have had thyroid problems for about 5 years.I am 48yrs old. My count is FT4=11.7 and TSH 7.19
I have very sore muscles and joints and feel really depressed. My skin is really dry and my eyes are itchy, I feel quite lethargic and thought I was getting dementia as my memory is bad..
1)My first action was to stop sweetner(thinking this was the cause of my issues)
2)I then went onto HRT thinking it was my menopause causing my issues and have changed 4 times as my muscles and joints are still really painful.
My gP called me in 3 weeks ago to tell me that my count was high but that the NHS only treats underactive thyroid when it is higher.
Please advise me what I should do as I am so tired of the pain and feeling low.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have paid £18 for your answers. Is this correct?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.


You are still quite hypothyroid.

You need to have it treated.

I am not sure what your question is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was should I be treated?-You have answered that
Do I need to stop my oestrogen as I think they conflict with each other?
What should I be prescribed and what dose?
Do I need any other tests?
Are my issues due to my thyroid?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

It should be treated.

You don't have to stop oestrogen.

Dose depends on exam and assessment.

levothyroxin is the most common replacement.

TSH; T4; thyroid antibodies.

Many of your issues can be due to thyroid.

And other problems.

That is moving way beyond the scope of this question set up, which was for a simple , single answer, but we are moving into other subjects.

If you want to go into those, see my additional services offer that I just sent.