How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Endocrinology
Satisfied Customers: 65674
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Endocrinology Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

I am 41 yr old man.. I have been feeling very tired and run

Customer Question

Hi, I am 41 yr old man.. I have been feeling very tired and run down for sometime, with low sex drive and low mood at times. I had checked my routine bloods which were all normal except low testosterone which I have check on few occasions all have been below 8 and the recent one at 6. I had also check the fsh, LH, prolactin were all normal .
Physically I do feel my muscle mass is lower, though I initially thought it could be due to inactivity.. But, recently I have been doing weight training, showing minimal improvement.
I am 6ft1inch tall and weigh 96 kg,
I wanted to know if I should consider testosterone replacement and should I be doing anything else.
I am a GP.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Thank you,
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.


Thanks for the question.

You should be consulting with an endocrinologist if possible.

You need a free testosterone, SHBG, thyroid function testing, and adrenal testing.

Testosterone interacts with all of these.

Only that way will you get a complete picture.

Then, if it is truly a testosterone problem, you can consider replacement.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here