How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask drsohaib Your Own Question
drsohaib, Doctor
Category: Endocrinology
Satisfied Customers: 5337
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
Type Your Endocrinology Question Here...
drsohaib is online now

I have had blood tests two weeks apart and both results came

This answer was rated:

Hi,I have had blood tests two weeks apart and both results came back as having high bone calcium levels so the GP sent me for parathyroid hormone blood tests and those results came back as normal GP says that's fine but I understood it that the parathyroid hormone levels should be very low if the calcium levels are raised.please could you advise.thank you.

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Honestly the evaluation for hypercalcemia should not stop here.

May I ask did you have any symptoms of high calcium (hypercalcemia) like frequent urination or thirst?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i am both drinking more and so passing more urine also i have chronic fatigue and constant pain and aching in most of my joints .

Thank you very much.

The most common cause for high calcium is either with high PTH (parathyroid hormone) levels (primary hyperparathyroidism) OR with normal PTH levels (Familial Hypocalciuric Hypercalcemia).

If the PTH is low, then it means that high calcium levels in blood are not PTH mediated, rather they are caused by other diseases like cancer or vitamin D intoxication.

In your case it appears you have familial Hypocalciuric Hypercalcemia (FHH) but for that urine testing will also be needed.

Also, to rule out other causes vitamin D levels, and if indicated PTHrP levels should be done. PTHrp is a PTH like chemical released from cancer cells and causes high calcium levels.

In the absence of weight loss, and the fact that PTH levels were normal, I don't think your high calcium is related to anything serious like a cancer, rather it appears to be benign in etiology.

Your PCP/GP can do the initial testing (you can discuss with him these details) and if needed he can refer you to an Endocrinologist for further evaluation.

Was it helpful?

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question. Bonus, always helpful.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

drsohaib and other Endocrinology Specialists are ready to help you