Dr Adi
Dr Adi, Professor
Experience:  Director of the Pediatric Diabetes Clinics at UCSF.
56602461

My daughters neck looks swollen, like a rubber ring around

Customer Question

My daughters neck looks swollen, like a rubber ring around it. Her legs have also just broken out in what look like stretch marks but smaller. They feel like tears in the skin. They are all over her thighs and continue down her calves. Her clothes are getting tighter but she is not putting on weight. There is no pitting of the skin on her legs when you press it so doesn’t appear swollen - any ideas?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  drsohaib replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Expert:  drsohaib replied 1 month ago.

I would like to ask few details regarding your symptoms/question to assist you more efficiently.
Is she having normal menstrual bleeds? The periods are regular?

Any change in her facial appearance?

Does she get recurrent infections?

Any kind of evaluation/tests done so far?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not with her at present so will have to check with her. I believe her periods are regular now although I know she had her contraceptive implant removed as she was bleeding constantly (I don’t know if this has resolved itself)
To me her face looks puffy
She has an almost constant sinus type infection or rhinitis
She had thyroid function tests which returned within normal range - however with no base line she does not know if they have altered from normal
Expert:  drsohaib replied 1 month ago.

Thank you very much for the useful information.

Honestly, I believe that she needs a comprehensive clinical examination at first place.

The symptoms you have described can be due to variety of reasons, ranging from something simple (like skin disease) to a complex problem (endocrinopathies --- or simply hormonal problems).

There is possibility of Cushing's disease, a condition due to over secretion of steroid hormones in the body, which can affect skin, easy bruising, redistribution of fat under the skin, and a variety of other symptoms also.

Basic blood tests, and hormonal profile including thyroid, cortisol and other pituitary hormone levels should be tested after a careful clinical examination.

You can discuss these details with your GP and he can order these tests and if any abnormality detected, can arrange referral to an Endocrinologist.

Expert:  drsohaib replied 1 month ago.

Was it helpful?