DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Endocrinology Expert
55099014

I am 61 years old and female. I have always suffered from

Customer Question

i am 61 years old and female. I have always suffered from constipation, cold and dry skin amongst other things. I had my thyroid tested privately about two years ago and the results showed as normal, except that I have a raised cholesterol level.
Recently, I have been experiencing more symptoms than normal and have gained weight which just doesn't shift no matter what. About four years ago I did IVF, which resulted in pregnancy. My son is now three and a half. I had to take a lot of eostrogen for this and wonder if this is contributing. I stopped feeding him at a few months but even now will still produce a small amount of milk. I have gone to my doctor and had blood tests and she says all is normal. But I know it's not. I just don't know what to do
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Hello. Thank you for your patience. I am so sorry for the long wait, but I have been busy taking care of patients and have just now come online. Would you like my help with your question today?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if you are still online
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, I don't want to talk on the phone at the moment as my phone is off due to battery problems. Where are you based?

I am in the US

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok so that would be difficult anyway. i would prefer to type

Ok no problem you are 61 years old?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
although look and seem much younger. I guess internally it's catching up with me though

So you had a child at 57? Wow!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if you knew me you wouldn't be surprised. But yes, I did, and I have five other children the youngest of whom is 21. I'm generally very fit and active and run rings round people half my age. But this recent problem is beginning to become overwhelming. Nobody would even be aware of it, as I just carry on regardless.

what other meds do you take?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
None. i went to the doctor, but they said my bloods were normal. So did the private company I paid. But the criteria for 'normal' in the uk leaves room for error. They did not tell me the readings, but I have little faith in them. It is possible anyway that my thyroid is ok, but that I have eostrogen dominance due to the meds I had to take for IVF. At any rate, there is no way for me to get any answers.

I agree with you

something is wrong

you may need a colonoscopy

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
why a colonoscopy in particular? What would it reveal? I forgot to mention an important factor. Well, it may be important, I don't know. I have to use the bathroom many times a day to pass urine. I have mentioned this to the doctor, and he gave me a prescription for something but I didn't take them as I am frightened of masking any symptoms and also, I don't want to do anything at all that may encourage weight gain, and most tablets seem to have that side effect.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
its getting late here and I have to go the shops to get some food before it closes
It could be adrenal issue too
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it could. But how could I get that tested, especially if they don't believe I have a problem?
Can you go private?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have no money to speak of, but if I thought that would help, I would somehow get it. I would not want to pay a lot of money for something that is the same as the NHS, i.e. useless.
it would be simple blood tests

Thanks for this question
I strive for 5 star service for all customers.

If you have any more questions, just reply. :)