Dr Adi
Dr Adi, Professor
Experience:  Director of the Pediatric Diabetes Clinics at UCSF.
56602461

I have been diagnosed with Idiopathic Reactive Hypoglycemia

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam,I have been diagnosed with Idiopathic Reactive Hypoglycemia and was advised to follow a diet with low sugar and carbohydrates, this work to some extent. However to manage my symptoms of faintness, dizziness and weakness, which occurred within 4 hours of eating, i was prescribed Acarbose. This was hopefully meant to slow down the absorption rate of my meals, however this caused very bad bloating and even caused worse low blood sugar episodes. Does anyone know why i may have got worse blood sugar episodes when taking Acarbose? For the moment i have stopped this medication and i am slightly better but still struggling.My only real hope is by using natural and herbal supplements, which i know some people have had really great success with. I know some people with Reactive Hypoglycemia have had beneficial effects with Chromium, i am wanting to start this at a low dose of 50mg, would this be okay to trial? I have lost alot of hope in prescribed drugs as in summary there is no treatment for this condition apart from diet, the drugs prescribed by my doctor are for diabetes, so are not ideal.I do not have diabetes but i have struggled with horrific symptoms for over 5 years, in the beginning i was eating sweet foods, this made my symptoms even worse. By changing my diet completely i am having some success. Does anyone know any good foods that are also low in the Glycaemic Index for breakfast, lunch and my evening meal, that could help me further please?Does anyone kindly know any other herbal or vitamin supplements that may help, as i know people who have reduced their symptoms completely by having a strict diet and using supplements? If anyone could help me as soon as possible i would be so thankful. Hope to hear from you soon, thank you in advance.Yours faithfully,Denis Feather
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 4 months ago.

Do you test your blood sugar?

If so, what is your highest and lowest reading?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dear Rick,My lowest reading is around 3.7mmol and my highest reading is 8.1mmol. My Endocrinologist advised my lowest reading was not too low and that my condition was Idiopathic in nature. In that i have low blood sugar symptoms when the blood sugar is not documented too low. Certainly i have found a low GI diet is helping, my high sugar diet was causing symptoms alot more frequently.I was diagnosed with a low vitamin D and i constantly have to ensure this is within the normal parameters. I do hope you can help and look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you.Yours sincerely,Denis Feather
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dear Rick,I am very upset no reply has been given to my concerns yet, i have waited a significant period of time. Sadly if i cannot have a reply soon i will have to ask Just Answer to close this question and raise a complaint. I am upset at the slow response and poor level of service provided. I do hope you can get back to me urgently. Many thanks in advance.Yours sincerely,Denis Feather
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 4 months ago.

Denis,

Unfortunately, I am on call this week and it has been crazybusy. There are sometimes, like this week, where my "day job" gets in the way of my online presence.

I apologize it has taken me so long to get back to you.

I will opt out so that a different expert can assist you.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 months ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 4 months ago.

still need help?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dear Dr Phil,Yes i still need help if you can assist please?Yours sincerely,Denis Feather

what questions remain for you Denis?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dear Dr Phil,To manage my symptoms of faintness, dizziness and weakness, which occurred within 4 hours of eating, i was prescribed Acarbose. This was hopefully meant to slow down the absorption rate of my meals, however this caused very bad bloating and even caused worse low blood sugar episodes. Do you know why i may have got worse blood sugar episodes when taking Acarbose?My only real hope is by using natural and herbal supplements, which i know some people have had really great success with. I know some people with Reactive Hypoglycemia have had beneficial effects with Chromium, i am wanting to start this at a low dose of 50mg, would this be okay to trial? I have lost alot of hope in prescribed drugs as in summary there is no treatment for this condition apart from diet, the drugs prescribed by my doctor are for diabetes, so are not ideal. Do you kindly know any other herbal or vitamin supplements that may help?Do you know any good foods that are also low in the Glycaemic Index for breakfast, lunch and my evening meal, that could help me further please and good snacks for Reactive Hypoglycemia? Thank you for your time and assistance.Yours sincerely,Denis Feather

I wouldn't recommend chromium

it burns calories but it can damage the liver

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dear Dr Phil,What vitamins or supplements would you kindly recommend, what about Vitamin B Complex, a Multivitamin etcYours sincerely,Denis Feather

I would primarily focus on dietary changes

have you looked at eating more complex carbs and fats to help keep a steady blood sugar level?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dear Dr Phil,I have indeed looked into diet changes with a dietitian already. It has helped slightly but i still have symptoms. This is why i wondered if adding a Multivitamin or B Vitamin may help?Yours sincerely,Denis Feather