DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

In the past year, I found out I had High Cholesterol and

Customer Question

In the past year, I found out I had High Cholesterol and also put on around 2st in weight. In recently I have also been experiencing Tiredness, aches and pains in the shoulders, trouble sleeping, loss of sex drive, erectile dysfunction, lack of appetite and occasionally pins and needles in my hands. I did a private blood test for my Thyroid and the TSH is 4.49 which is above the 1-4 expected. The nurse pointed me to get in touch with someone about a potential underactive thryoid as my syptoms combined with the high cholesterol sound correct.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Generally been having them syptoms mentioned. Currently the Doctor is looking into a potentially 'fatty liver' which could be a consiquence of my high cholesterol and weight gain if I understood correctly.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: High Cholesterol for the past year or so and the TSH levels being high are the main things combined with the things mentioned in my messages above.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  DR. EHTISHAM replied 2 years ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Can you please tell what exactly is your question now?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm wondering based on my symptoms and issues and my results that an underactive thyroid sounds like it could be the reason?

Thanks for the details

Underactive thyroid or hypothyroidism can cause lipid abnormalities and these lipid abnormalities can cause fatty liver

So you need to start treatment for hypothyroidism as it will have a positive effect on your other issues

Please do let me know if you have any other question

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I go about starting treatment for hypothyroidism?

Your GP can start it and then refer you to endocrinologist

Are you with me?

Anything else you need help with?