Dr Adi
Dr Adi, Professor
Experience:  Director of the Pediatric Diabetes Clinics at UCSF.
56602461

I was wondering whether you might be able to help. I am a

Customer Question

Hello, I was wondering whether you might be able to help. I am a 55yo female, menopausal since 45, no pregnancies. Last year I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, which I believe I have had for much longer, however before being diagnosed I had my thyroid test, and my GP said it was all fine. But I had it also checked abroad while on a holiday, and the doctor found nodules on the thyroid, and I was put on 25mg of levothyroxine, which really helps keep me awake. However my GP was terribly upset I did this, and keeps telling me to stop taking it, as his results are not showing any problems with the thyroid. I have tried to stop taking it, and I felt I was dying, so I started taking it again, and have been taking it now for almost 2 years. And yet, I am still feeling unwell, I am constantly tired, I have put on weight, I have a terrible pelvic pain and I suspect it might be something going on with my ovaries, or some hormonal imbalance. I was wondering whether you could possibly give me some advice on this, please.
JA: The Endocrinologist can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I have been unwell for over 2 years now, taking pain killers, and some adaptogens.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I also have hypoglycemia since I was a child, and have 3 people with diabetes in my family.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  DR. EHTISHAM replied 2 years ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Can you please share your thyroid function test result?

Do you have any menstrual irregularities?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My period stopped about 10years ago when my menopause kicked in
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not have the thyroid results on me right now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hello??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
was this all you could answer????

Thanks for the details

There are definitely two main possibilities

Either it is a thyroid disorder or hypothyroidism or it could be fibromyalgia

Sometime chronic fatigue syndrome can also present like this

It is unlikely to be related to any ovarian disorder

So these things have to be considered

I would like a fresh thyroid function if not done recently and then further plan can be made

Please do let me know if you have any other question

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
For some reason the UK thyroid tests are always showing fine, and my GP keeps telling me to stop taking the thyroxin. However I have tried once to stop taking it, and I felt I was going to die. I have spoken to other females taking the thyroxin, and they advised as well not to stop taking it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You are saying fibromyalgia can sometimes give these symptoms. However the pelvic pain I have is unbearable. It feels as if something has exploded inside, and I have been ripped to pieces. I am hardly able to walk
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I really worry this is not fibromyalgia alone

Sometime the numbers are just borderline but symptoms are quite typical so we do treat such cases

This is called a subclinical stage

So this is quite possible

Pelvic pain needs evaluation as it can be an osteoporotic collapse or fracture

So you definitely need to have further evaluation

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did have a pelvic scan, and I was told everything was ok, although they could not see my ovaries....

If the ovaries were not detected then you should have a CT scan

Sometimes ovaries get obscured by gas shadow from intestine but this has to be confirmed with a CT scan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will my GP refer me to a CT scan?? And is there anything I can do in the meantime to improve my condition?? It is extremely debilitating to have fibromyalgia, not be able to function most of the day, live with constant pain, and have everyone claiming you are ok, there is nothing like fibromyalgia and cronic fatigue. I just want to be able to function as a normal person, and return to a full time job.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There seems to be no medication and no treatment for it, and this is worrying

You can use Gabapentin till you get an evaluation

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I am very worried about Gabapentin because of the side effects, and also I have heard a lot of bad reviews about it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Another thing I forgot to mention is that I am constantly hungry, and I eat for the planet. I used to live on air in the past, I was hardly eating, and now I cannot stop. Can this be related to fibromyalgia, too??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am a nervous eater, almost like a smoker.

Yes all of this can be due to fibromyalgia

Gabapentin does not cause side effect in every one so it can be tried