neurosurg
neurosurg,
206912

I have been hypothyroid for 29 years but in the last 2 years

Hello. I have been hypothyroid for 29 years but in the last 2 years my GP has consistently tried to persuade me to reduce the prescribed dose of 125 levothyroxinevto 100, which is what the endocrinologist stated was correct for me. She has yesterday issued a prescription for 100 without telling me beforehand. When I asked she says it is because my blood test shows the dose is too high. However, my blood pressure is 106/63 and my resting heart rate varies between 59 and 63 (I wear an Apple Watch). My bone density is excellent as I had a check after a sporting accident. I am 67 and whatever I say seems to be disregarded by the doctor. What can I do please?
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: I am in good health. I never lose weight but I do lots of exercise. Ni have been a ballet teacher all my life, am retired but cycle, walk or go on the cross trainer frequently.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I don’t think so. The endocrinologist I was referred to in 2007 (because of possible problems with the menopause and my husband had terminal cancer) told me that although the surgery sent off the blood test they did not know how to interpret the result and he would write and explain to them I should be on 125.

Hello -

Do you know what your TSH level is?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Not now but I am waiting for the doctor to call and tell me more.
OK, thanks.
The TSH level is what is used to help determine the optimal dose of your medication. You generally want that to be in the normal range. If the TSH is lower than normal, that may be a reason why your doctor wants you to take a lesser dose.

So if your TSH is in the normal range, or you can ask your primary doctor what their rationale is for loweringThe dose of the medication.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I prefer not to do the live call thank you. Is it true that my thyroid gland cannot have repaired itself so that I no longer need the amount of thyroxine the endocrinologist prescribed in 2007?
Your need for the medication can fluctuate with time.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Okay I get that but surely I would have a higher resting heart rate if I were over medicated, or I would lost weight or be hot?

If you were significantly overmedicated, you likely would have the symptoms.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Well I do not have those symptoms, quite the opposite really. I am a restrained careful eater and still don’t lose weight except if I restrict to about 1500 calories a day combined with lots of exercise. I can do that and have done but the minute I come off the 1500 and eat a bit more I gain weight again. I am usually cold. Perhaps I should ask for another referral to an endocrinologist?

Well, start with your TSH level first.

Then if you have further questions, a referral can be helpful.

Best of luck.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you. When I speak to my doctor and find the TSH level I may come back. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome.