Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

I was diagnosed with pcos in about 2012 via bloods and trans

Customer Question

Hi, I was diagnosed with pcos in about 2012 via bloods and trans vaginal ultrasound. I have had no medical input for it and am interested to know if I should be on medication.
I have lost 51 pounds and now weigh 185 at 5’6 I have excessive hair growth also.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 8 days ago.

Hello and welcome.

How regular are your periods?

Do you wish to become pregnant? Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My periods are regular 30 day cycle ovulatory, and no I don’t want more children. I would like to lose about 28 lb and wondered if metformin would help

Congratulations on your weight loss of 51 pounds. That may be the reason for your ovulatory periods.

Metformin might help with weight loss, but not necessarily so. I wonder if whatever has worked for you so far for weight loss might not be the best to continue with it. There are no easy answers.

A low dose birth control pill would likely help with the excess hair growth, if that's a significant problem. Best wishes.