neurosurg
neurosurg,
206912

I have been putting off booking an appointment with a doctor

Hello. I have been putting off booking an appointment with a doctor to check my thyroid because I've been too busy with work. Now I have a bit of time, but can't get to see a doctor because of the corona virus shutdowns. i have two questions: Which doctor should I see to help me? Gynae, endocrinologist or GP? And, are the home testing kits accurate?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have not yet spoken to a doctor. I was meant to have NHS health check two weeks ago, I did the blood test, but then the local clinics were closed because of corona. I've been told to wait until it's all cleared. But that could take between six to 18 months.
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: I am generally in good health. I'm 48. Had three rounds of fertility treatment about ten years ago. I stopped smoking in November, have been eating a very healthy diet the past month, walking a lot more, doing Pilates. But I have few symptoms that point towards thyroid, although I don't feel anything different when I do the throat test. Lethargy, overweight, brain fog, joint weakness/aches
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing major. I know I have a sluggish circulatory system as I have varicose veins. I have been trying to lose weight (I need to lose another 20kg) but even dieting/correct eating is not shifting it.

Hello -

Your GP can order the standard bloodwork for the thyroid.

Then if anything is abnormal, a referral to an endocrinologist would be appropriate.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for your response. Given that I won't be able to see a GP unless it's an emergency, would the home testing kits be accurate and a reliable measure? I wo't be able to self treat, but it will help me to understand if it is my thyroid that's "holding me back". Or should I avoid home tests?

Home tests aren't going to be accurate enough to make any real determination about what to do. So getting the blood testing when available (hopefully in a couple of months) would be best here.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you so much. You've been really helpful. Wishing you and yours good health. All the best